Love comfort foods? This Crockpot Chicken and Dumplings recipe is packed full of veggies and is a cinch to make!
I’m one of those moms who likes to use her crockpot all year long — don’t you? I use it almost every Thursday for dinner on our Awana nights. I also like to put it to use on the weekends since we really pack on the errands! After a long day of getting our “to do” lists done, it’s tough to get a hearty meal on the table.
My crockpot is just an everyday kind of hero and it works wonders with this chicken and dumplings recipe! It swoops in with its super high or low heating, and cooks dinner perfectly — every time.
I don’t usually cook dinner in the crockpot on Sundays because we have church in the morning and I am just not that “put together” in the morning. I’m the one still primping in the bathroom slowing everyone else down.
After church, our youngest child naps and I get the menu and grocery list ready for the week. We also go grocery shopping, which leaves little time to make something elaborate for Sunday nights. Rarely would I have chicken and dumplings on the table during super-busy Sundays, but this crockpot version lets me do exactly that. The family wants chicken and dumplings for dinner? Coming up!
Aside from a little veggie chopping(which you could always do ahead of time), this dinner comes together very easily. Another perk? It tastes amazing — and smells even better! I’m sorry to say that there weren’t any leftovers by the time we were done with it. Just be warned that his chicken and dumpling recipe gets gone — fast!
Ready for a quick and easy dinner? Recipe follows!
- 3 boneless, skinless, chicken breast-cut into large chunks
- 2 tbsp butter, diced
- 2 cans (15 oz) cream of chicken
- 1 can (15 oz) chicken broth
- 2 carrots, peeled and sliced 1/2 inch thick
- 1 small onion, diced
- 2 stalks celery, sliced 1/2 inch thick
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1/2 tsp dried thyme
- 1/2 tsp dried rosemary
- 2 tbsp all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 container of buttermilk biscuits, quartered and seasoned with salt and pepper
- Place chicken on the bottom of crockpot.
- Place all chopped carrots, onion, celery, and peas on top of chicken.
- Season with garlic powder, salt and pepper, thyme and rosemary.
- Dot butter over veggies and cover with cream of chicken and broth.
- Cover and cook on high for 3 hours. Whisk together all-purpose flour and water in a small bowl and pour into the crockpot, stirring to combine.
- Drop quartered biscuits on top of the chicken mixture and cook on low for an additional 6 hours.
*Affiliate links have been added.*