I’ve been a full-time homemaker for almost 15 years. During these years of homemaking I have found creative, real ways to earn money from home. Why? Because I enjoy being staying at home full-time so I am always there my when family needs me. I don’t have to re-schedule outside commitments to help my husband in an emergency. When my kids are sick, many times I am able take most of the day cuddling them and bringing them special snacks and treats. The laundry can wait until tomorrow.
I think the choice of staying home full-time has blessed our family in more ways than we can count, but we have had to make financial sacrifices to ensure our family could indeed live on one income. But, then special situations would come up and it would be very handy if I had some extra cash saved from some opportunities that I found to make money from home. Some have been small, and some have been substantial. And today, I am spilling it all. I am giving all the details of what I do and also what has worked for other homemakers like you.
It’s important that homemakers have the option of earning money. It gives us the freedom and flexibility to treat our families or take financial pressure off of our husbands. It also helps us prepare a more business-like mind that may be needed if our we are left alone without someone to provide for us. It keeps us in touch with the business management side of living so if we become the sole provider for our family one day, it’s not a complete head-spinning experience.
Does that ever cross your mind? I have to admit that it does mine. When I look at my children, I desire to provide them the happiest home in the entire world. Yes, money does not bring happiness, but it takes money to live, eat and become educated. My kids look to my husband and I to provide for them and I don’t want to be wringing my hands without a way to provide for them if one day I do become the sole provider. I want my kids to know that their parents are willing to work hard and sacrifice material possessions and leisure time in order to provide for them.
Did you know there are other homemakers out there who are working from home to earn money for their families? I have some good friends who are earning well-paid, full-time incomes straight form the comfort of their homes.
So yes, you can have your cake and eat it too!
Best Ways for Homemakers to earn Money
- Baby-sit. There are many moms out there who, by choice or by situation, work outside the home full-time. Many of them prefer one person to care for their child for stability, trust and famililarity reasons. A homemaker with small children is also ideal so their child has playmates! It’s a great way to make some extra income without leaving your home or kids.
- Become a tutor. If you know a child struggling in school, offer tutoring servies to the family in an area of academics you are great in. You could offer to pick up the child from school and tutor them at your home until the parents get off work. Parents may go for this for many reasons — their child is getting extra educational help and have adult supervision from someone they trust.
- Teach! Are you skilled at the piano, sewing, knitting, cooking, baking, decorating cakes or art? You can offer classes or private lessons at your home. In the past I would only teach piano and voice during my children’s naptimes because there was no one else to step in and watch them for a few hours. If your kids are on a naptime routine or schedule, this can be done. But, I was giving up that free leisure time of mine to invest in earning income. Try it just a few days a week, and if you are able to, you can always increase it to 4 times per week later.
- Learn to Skype and Facetime. Did you know that some kids are now taking private lessons via Skype or Facetime? This makes it easier for you to teach them lessons in the evening after your kids have gone to bed. Or you could plan a quiet activity for the kids while you taught a student via webcam. I still prefer in-person lessons, but it’s still possible to have profitable lessons via webcam. In fact, it would enable you to teach kids outside your city or state…or even other moms that wanted to learn a certain skill that you have mastered. Think of your talents, and use them to earn income!
- Start writing. Do you love to read magazines and books about parenting, marriage and pregnancy? Do you love to spend hours chatting with your friends about “all things mom” related? Then you may be a good fit for a parenting writer. I started over two years ago writing for online parenting and frugal living websites. I wrote up a resume, wrote several sample articles and scoured the web for websites that were looking or hiring writers. It took some research and time to find the right fit, but in a few weeks I had a job that lasted for one year. Then, I was able to build my own website and quit writing for other people and write for myself. Want to get started? During some quiet time today, just start writing about something that inspires you in parenting. Save it, review it, tweak it and then share it with someone. If you want more ideas about how to land a writing job, email me at the contact address on this site. I will be happy to help you out!
- Look around your home. When things got super-tight financially at our house I would look around and find objects I didn’t necessarily need, but would sell at a reasonable price. Home decor, baby equipment, gently used clothing — anything that you don’t absolutely love or need can be considered perfect for selling. You can sell on Facebook, Craigslist or reach out to a resell or consignment store near you. Listia is also a great place to sell, and if you sign up here, you’ll get an extra 1,000 credits to get you started! During the summer, yard sales do quite well in certain areas of the country. And don’t forget the huge consignment sales at your local expo center!
- Buy and re-sale. See something super-cheap on ebay, Amazon, a thrift store or a yard sale? Buy it, then re-sell it. YOu can easily build up your own online re-sell shop!
- Make your own products. I have a friend who is doing quite well crocheting beautiful blankets, hats, hairbows and more items. Her business also helped her blog, which is earning income too! It does take a while to build up, but if you invest your time, efforts and brain-power into some of your own products and marketing those products, you can have a home-based business to help support your family financially. And don’t worry, if starting your own business seems overwhelming, there are several books on that topic in the bundle too!
- Take surveys and answer polls. It’s amazing to think people will actually pay us for our opinions, right? There are a lot of low-paying, scam survey sites out there, so be careful. But, these survey sites below have really helped some moms earn a little extra cash on the side. I don’t know about all the survey sites out there, but these are the top fo the list for trustworthy, mom-approved surveys.
Oh, and before I move on, definitely check out my
Smart WAHM course that helps you uncover your talents and abilities and teaches you exactly how to turn that into a dependable income! The course comes with 22 lessons with actionable tasks and printables to keep you motivated, on track and on the road to a successful work at home mom career. You also get exclusive access to a private Facebook group where other moms share the best of the best WAHM tips! Want three free lessons to wet your appetite? Sign up here!
- Opinion Outpost. Rewards include get cash, Amazon gift cards, game points, donations to your favorite charities, and more. Everyone is also automatically entered to a $10,000 sweepstakes by joining and taking surveys. The minimum cash out for Paypal is $10 and only $5 for Amazon gift cards.
- Vindale Research. Get paid to review products and share your unique opinion.
- SendEarnings. Earn cash when you need emails, take surveys, shop online and redeem coupons.
- Pine Cone Research. It’s easy and fun to see and evaluate new product ideas in the comfort of your own home. You will earn points for each completed product survey, which can be exchanged for cash and other rewards. Plus, you will be automatically entered into a bi-weekly Sweepstakes to win additional cash prizes for your time.
- MySurvey.com. MySurvey.com is a group of consumers from throughout the United States who influence future products and services by volunteering to participate in consumer research. By sharing your opinions about products and services, you are rewarded with Reward Points to redeem for cash and merchandise.
- Springboard US Panel. Springboard America gives sahms like you the opportunity to speak up on what affects their daily lives – from products to politics. Get rewarded for sharing your thoughts.
- Shoppers Voice. Rewards, special coupons and more are just the beginning of benefits from sharing your voice!
- Perk. This is a super-fun one where you can really rack up on Amazon gift cards! Lots of ways to earn rewards!
- Toluna. Want to get rewarded for your opinions by answering surveys and polls? This my be your best bet!
- SwagBucks. A super-popular way to earn income around the holidays. Swagbucks add up fast and you can snag lots of Christmas gifts this way! You earn digital dollars called “Swag Bucks”, which can be redeemed for exclusive Swagbucks.com merchandise. Things like PayPal and Amazon gift cards, toys, clothes, collectibles, games, electronics and more. Swagbucks.com is a 100% free, no strings attached, no shipping charges and no membership fees company. It’s well-known and highly recommended!
- Inbox Dollars. Inbox Dollars pays members to read emails, take surveys online, play games, and go shopping! Receive $5 just for signing up!.
- Send Earnings With this company, you earn cash by reading emails, using coupons, answering surveys and shopping!
- Ipsos I-Say. I-Say is looking for Moms! Take surveys and earn points. The more surveys you complete the more points you earn. The more points you earn, the more you can redeem in the online reward catalogue. They also offer contests and prizes for dedicated members!
What are your best money-making tips for homemakers? Share them with us on social media!
*Affiliate links have been added to help you find some money-making resources!*