One of my favorite desserts I have been making for years is banana cream pie. I’ve tried varying up a bit; changing the crust, spicing up the pie filling etc. But just recently I took a more daring change to one of my classic faves — I turned it into a cupcake! Plus I added the perfect cup of coffee — now that’s a perfect mom treat!
When I look at a long list of ingredients, I get a little intimidated. I like to keep recipes simple, short and amazing. Yes, this recipe does have three different parts to it, but each one is a cinch! So stop biting your nails — wink, wink! Ooh! I almost forgot to tell you about this easy banana cake with cream cheese icing! You’ll love it too!
Normally I do not use cake mix in my recipes, unless it is a cake mix cookie recipe. But, I learned a new secret that takes cake mixes up a notch — or four! Want to know how you can change an ordinary box of cake mix into mouth-watering, moist, light and fluffy amazing cupcakes? Ok, I’ll tell you — but only if you promise to enjoy your banana cream pie cupcakes with an amazing cup of coffee. Deal?
And since I am kind of a coffee snob, it has to be the purrr-fect cup of coffee. For instance, it has to meet the following criteria:
- Made with 100% Arabica Beans (premium quality coffee)
- Harvested from the rich soils and mountainous regions of the foremost coffee-growing areas of the world
Good coffee has to be just perfect — not too bitter, but yet strong enough to keep a mom going! It should make you want to scream, “Come on down and jump into my cup!”
A little dramatic, I know. But, I am a mom who really, really enjoys a quiet morning with a cup of coffee, a banana cream pie cupcake and definitely some cooking magazines. No, that doesn’t happen every morning, but when it does, it’s sooooo dreamy!
OK, since you were so sweet to listen to my spill about the perfect cup of coffee, I will now tell you the super-awesome secret to getting light and moist cupcakes. One word: butter. Forget the instructions on the box and listen to a cupcake-baking mom! Don’t worry I have all the details listed below in the super yummy banana cream pie cupcake recipe below.
By the way, if you want to impress your best mom friends, invite them over for these cupcakes! The filling mixed with the banana frosting just screams, “Banana Cream Pie!!!” You may have to remind yourself that these are actually cupcakes, since they taste so pie-ish. Plus, you can make the super-cute mini cupcakes like I did. We moms like little, dainty desserts with our coffee, don’t we?
Oh, and one more thing. You won’t find banana flavoring in this recipe. No ma’am. You’ll only find real bananas blended in the filling and frosting. Mmm…that’s homemade yummyiness right there!
Now head on down to your grocery store and fill up your cart with all the necessities: bananas, cake mix, coffee, milk, coffee, sugar, coffee — and the rest is history.
- 1 box Yellow Cake Mix
- 3 Large Eggs
- ½ cup butter, melted
- 1 cup of water
- 1 ½ bananas, sliced
- 2 cups milk
- ¼ cup corn starch
- ½ cup +2 tablespoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon vanilla
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup butter, softened
- 1 1/2 bananas, mashed
- 6-7 cups powdered sugar
- 2 tablespoons heavy cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla flavoring
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- In large bowl, mix cake mix, butter, oil and eggs on medium-low speed for one minute, then on high speed for on additional minute.
- Pour into lined or greased cupcake pans (I used a mini cupcake pan for this recipe.)
- Bake until golden brown or cupcakes pass the toothpick test.
- While cupcakes are baking, prepare the filling.
- Throw all filling ingredients into the blender and blend for 30 seconds.
- Transfer filling to a medium sauce pan and cook on medium-low heat, stirring continuously.
- Cook until filling is thickened, about four minutes.
- Remove filling from heat and let cool.
- Beat butter in large mixing bowl until smooth and creamy.
- Gradually add remaining ingredients until frosting is completely smooth and all ingredients are incorporated.
- Once cupcakes are cooled, cut a small cone-shaped hold out of the top of the cupcake and fill the cupcake with banana cream custard.
- Replace cupcake top and repeat for each cupcake.
- Frost cupcakes and keep refrigerated until ready to serve.
*Affiliate links have been added to help you create the perfect banana cream pie cupcake!*