How to Make Homemade Sloppy Joes
I love easy, homemade meals, don’t you?
Sloppy joes is on my easy meals list and I love how it only takes one pan to make a quick meal for my family.
Sloppy joes has been an American kid favorite for years.
Why not make it for your kids this week?
How to Use Sloppy Joe Meat
WHAT CAN I DO WITH SLOPPY JOE MEAT?
Number one, slap some on a toasted bun!! After that, here are some of my favorite things to do:
- Spoon some over some crispy waffle fries. I prefer the sweet potato waffle fries!
- Add meat to a grilled cheese sandwich. This makes a heartier sandwich!
- Make slider sandwiches. Place the meat and your favorite cheeses on slider rolls and place in heated oven until cheese is melted.
- Add a few spoonfuls to your favorite hamburger.
- Freeze for hamburger soup. We do this and add some frozen veggies, powdered ranch and it’s a quick, homemade pot of soup!
I grew up eating Sloppy Joes frequently.
My school served it and my mom also made the canned version a time or two.
But, something was missing in my relationship with Sloppy Joes.
I just couldn’t put my finger on it until I met my husband.
How to Make Sloppy Joes Even Better
My husband and I met our senior year of high school.
Yes, we are high school sweethearts. :)
Right away I knew he had picky, OCD ways about him.
The rest of us teens would go through the lunch line and barely talk to the ladies putting the food on our plates.
Sure, I would smile and say “thank-you,” but I just took whatever they were serving that day — no questions asked.
But, my husband — he was another story.
“Can you slap some cheese on that hot-dog bun for me…before you put on the hot-dog and chili, please?”
The lunchroom ladies were amused at his request, but granted it every single week.
One lady knew his order and made it that way every time.
I never knew you could “have it your way” in the lunch line!
Fast forward four years and we are eating at a pastor’s house.
His wife is serving sloppy joes and everyone is eating and talking.
My husband speaks up and asks, “Can I have a slice of cheese for my sandwich?”
The hostess was surprised, but said yes. “Hmm…,” I thought, “That does sound good.”
But, I wouldn’t dare ask the hostess for a slice of cheese, so I waited until I made it for my family.
And you know what?
It does taste better with a slice of cheese!
How to Make Sloppy Joes in a Crock Pot
It’s pretty simple!
Brown the beef and add all the remaining ingredients.
Cook on low for 4-6 hours, or HIGH for 2-3 hours.
This will have render a softer texture than making the recipe in a skillet.
Place the sloppy Joes meat on a hamburger bun and serve!
I highly recommend toasting the hamburger buns with a smidge of butter in the oven for serving.
So, so, good!
- 2 tablespoons cooking oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 1 green pepper, diced
- 1 Tablespoon garlic powder
- 2 pounds ground beef
- 2 cups tomato puree
- 1 cup ketchup
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Hamburger buns, to serve
- In large skillet, saute onion and pepper until soft and translucent. Remove from pan.
- Add ground beef to same skillet and cook until browned. I always add a thin layer of water and mash up the meat with a fork so the ground beef is nice and crumbly.
- Once meat is browned, drain any excess grease and add remaining ingredients (except hamburger buns) and sauteed onion and pepper. Mix thoroughly and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and let simmer for 15 minutes.
- Serve on hamburger buns.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1 grams
Amount Per Serving: Unsaturated Fat: 0g