How to Make Bolognese Sauce
Italian recipes always hit the comfort food spot!
Bolognese was always a favorite of mine growing up.
I bet it was one of your favorites too!
Homemade bolognese sauce is way better than any frozen, store bought version.
Don’t you agree?
If you’re a parent who has some picky eaters, then you can get veggies in with this delicious sauce!
There is zucchini and spinach in this recipe — but no one will notice because the flavor is so dee-lish no one cares if it has a million veggies in it.
Ok, a million is a little much, isn’t it. I guess that was a little but of a food blogger exaggeration there — but you get the point!
Tips for Better Bolognese Sauce
Better Bolognese Tip #1:
If you want super-fine meat instead of huge hunks, add about 1/2 cup of water to your meat while you’re browning it.
Also, keep breaking up the beat with a wooden spoon.
Those little details when cooking can take an awesome sauce or chili to the next level!
Better Bolognese Tip #2
Don’t skip the simmering step.
What makes this sauce so flavorful?
The simmering part.
Don’t skip out on that detail!
If you want to get the real Italian feel for an amazing bolognese sauce, you have to use fresh veggies and simmer your sauce…not this five minute sauce thing you see on easy cooking commercials.
It’s just not the same, and the quick cooking kind is kind of, well, bleh!
Better Bolognese Tip #3
Use Fresh Veggies
Fresh vegetables add a power punch of flavor to this recipe every time!
Better Bolognese Tip #4
Want to add some double yumminess to this recipe?
Drizzle your final product with gorgeous, mouth-watering extra virgin olive oil.
And, if you’re a cheese fanatic, make sure you sprinkle real, shredded Parmesan cheese on top!
HOW TO SERVE BOLOGNESE SAUCE:
Serve over hot, buttered pasta.
Add some garlicky bread and a fresh green salad. (You can use that same dee-lish olive oil you used in the final product again…plus toss some balsamic vinegar in there too!)
INGREDIENTS FOR BOLOGNESE SAUCE RECIPE
Lean Ground Beef
The leaner the better!
So your simmering sauce turns into a golden, rich flavor.
Favorite Italian Spices
This delivers an added punch of Italian flavors!
Ready to Make Homemade Bolognese?
Recipe is below!
Easy Italian Bolognese Sauce
Easy Italian Bolognese sauce is packed full of flavor AND veggies! Make it for your family tonight!
- 1 lb ground beef, (90%)
- 1/2 onion onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic clove, minced
- 2 cans tomato puree, (8 oz. cans)
- 1 cup spinach, fresh chopped
- 1 cup zucchini, shredded
- 4 tbsp Italian seasoning
- 1 leaf bay leaf
- to taste salt/pepper
- to taste olive oil
- In a large pot over medium/high heat drizzle some olive oil and sautee the ground beef, cooking and stirring until brown and all the fat/liquid is evaporated—about 15 minutes.
- Add the onion and garlic, cook until translucent.
- Next add the veggies, and stir again and allow them to cook and break down.
- Season with salt, pepper and the Italian seasoning.
- Stir in pureed tomatoes and bay leaf.
- Lower heat and allow to simmer for 1.5 to 2 hours.
- Stir sauce every 20 minutes.
- Check salt, add more if needed.
- Sauce will thicken as it stands.
- Serve over pasta with grated parmesan cheese and a drizzle of your best olive oil.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1 grams
Amount Per Serving: Unsaturated Fat: 0g