Rice Krispie Valentine’s Day Pops are Super Simple!
Valentine’s Day is a favorite around our house!
We make each other cards and give simple gifts to let everyone know how special and loved they are. Maybe you remember the SUPER VIRAL heart-shaped rice krispie treats we shared a few years ago?
If you don’t you need to head over there right now and see those cuties!
They look just like conversation hearts.
How cute is that?!
Why does this busy mom love these treats?
Because they’re a cinch to make!
Plus I just happen to be a die hard rice krispie treat fan.
If there was a rice krispie fan club I would be a card-holding member!
Ingredients Needed for Valentine’s Day Rice Krispie Treats
Ingredient #1: Butter
Because every treat needs butter!
Ingredient #2: Rice Cereal
This is the MAIN ingredient for this recipe!
Ingredient #3: Mini Marshmallows
Use mini marshmallows (like these!) instead of larger ones so they melt more thoroughly.
Ingredient #4: Salt
A few pinches of salt brigs out all the flavors!
Ingredient #5: Candy Melts
These make the perfect chocolate coating for dipping.
Ingredient #6: Oil
This helps the chocolate melt perfectly.
Ingredient #7: Sprinkles
Because we want these treats to be pretty and fun!
Ingredient #8: Paper Straws
Use your creativity here and use hearts, polka dots, chevron stripes, and more in all of your favorite, Valentine’s Day colors!
Ingredient #9: Real Vanilla
Don’t use the imitation junk! It makes a BIG difference!
Are you a rice krispy treats snob?
What does that mean?
It means you want rice krispie treats to have enough marshmallows and buttery goodness to make them gloriously sticky!
Don’t give me a dry rice krispie treat!
I just may gag!
And as a Rice Krispie treat snob, I think you’ll love this other variation of Valentine’s Day Rice Krispie treats…they’re cut-out hearts!
Tips for Making BETTER Rice Krispie Treats
Better Rice Krispie Treat Tip #1: Use parchment paper.
This way you don’t have to worry about extra butter on your fingertips or the bars sticking to the pan.
Better Rice Krispie Treat Tip #2: Only use fresh marshmallows.
Don’t use this recipe to “use up” old marshmallows. Instead, take a trip ot the grocery store to grab a FRESH bag!
Better Rice Krispie Treat Tip #3: Toss in Extra Marshmallows!
Add an extra handful or two for extra chewy bars!
Can You Freeze These Valentine’s Day Rice Krispie Treats?
But our tastebuds think frozen Rice Krispie treats are drier and harder.
If you absolutely MUST freeze them, I would heat them up in the oven for a few minutes and stir in a little bit more marshmallows, butter, and salt before serving and eating.
MORE Valentine’s Day TREATS
Strawberry-filled rice krispie treat recipe. These remind me of Choco-gel Little Debbies!
Bee Valentine’s Day Snack. These use Twinkie cakes and are easy and cute!
My husband is not a sweet treat lovin’ kind of guy.
In fact, that’s why I rarely made treats or goodies the first 10 years of our marriage!
He thought (and still does to some extent) that sweets and goodies were a waste of money, time and calories.
But that was before rice krispie treats. He’ll always reach and grab one of these beauties!
And he’ll thank me for making such a cute treat for him and the kids.
How sweet is that?
Ready to whip up a simple batch yourself? Recipe follows below!
- 5 tablespoons butter
- 10 cups mini marshmallows, divided
- 6 cups Rice Krispies cereal
- 1 teaspoon real vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
For the topping
- 1 cup dark cocoa candy melts
- 1/4 cup bright pink candy melts
- 1 tablespoon cooking oil
- 3-5 tablespoons pink, white and red sprinkles
- 8 paper straws
- Line a 9x9 pan with foil and spray lightly with cooking spray, set aside.
- Melt butter in a large pot over low heat.
- Once butter in melted add in 8 cups mini marshmallows and vanilla extract, stirring constantly.
- Once the marshmallows are just melted remove from heat and stir in your cereal and salt until just coated in marshmallow mixture.
- Now stir in the remaining 2 cups of mini marshmallows. This is what makes these treats oozy-gooey!
- Pour mixture into prepared pan and press evenly. Allow to cool completely before cutting into rectangular pops.
- Allow treats to completely cool before dipping and decorating.
- Once treats are completely cooled, hold Rice Krispie Treat in palm of hand and firmly press straw about 3/4 of the way in.
- In a microwave-safe cup, heat dark cocoa candy melts with half of vegetable oil. Heat in 30 second increments, stirring each time, until fully melted, or about 90 seconds.
- Dip half of the pop into the chocolate, let excess drip off or gently wipe off excess on the inside rim of the cup.
- Firmly press bottom of pop into sprinkles. Allow to dry on a flat surface, sprinkle side down, until chocolate hardens (about 20 minutes).
- Repeat the candy melting process for the pink candy melts, using remaining vegetable oil. Allow to cool slightly, about five minutes. Use a fork to quickly, but carefully, drizzle over the chocolate-covered portion of the pops. Allow to harden, then repeat on other side if desired. Serve immediately or store in refrigerator for up to three days. Best if served same day for ooey gooey treats!
Nutrition Information:Yield: 15 Serving Size: 1 grams
Amount Per Serving: Unsaturated Fat: 0g