Want to Know How To Make Homemade, Soft Pretzels?
We love baking homemade bread!
It makes our home smell like a bakery and everyone loves the comfort of homemade goodies!
This soft pretzel recipe was inspired by our love for baking…and for keeping it simple during difficult times.
Right now baking seems to help families across the globe deal with this world outbreak.
And baking and enjoying some homemade pretzels together (especially when you can’t go out to your favorite bakery!) is another little piece of comfort to share with your family.
Super Soft Pretzels Require Few Ingredients
We made sure to keep this recipe simple.
Plus, we wanted to give you several options.
That way you can keep salty and sweet cravings satisfied!
What Type of FLour Can You Use to Make Homemade Pretzels?
I recommend bread flour, however, if you only have all-purpose flour on hand, don’t let that keep you from making homemade pretzels!
Bread flour will give you a crustier finish, but all-purpose flour will still give you that hearty, dense, super soft, homemade pretzel your family has been craving.
CAN SOFT PRETZELS BE FROZEN?
Prepared pretzel dough can be frozen in an airtight container for up to three months.
Soft Pretzels Are Perfect for Baking With Kids
These pretzels are a fun way to get kids involved in the kitchen.
If you want to get your kids cooking more, be sure to check out our recipes kids can make!
Kids will love that they can make original soft pretzels, cinnamon pretzels, or chocolate covered pretzels (With sprinkles, of course!)
Kids also love brushing the butter on each pretzel.
Each child can make their very OWN pretzel!
If you don’t have kids, no worries.
This homemade pretzel recipe tastes amazing to ANYONE who loves bakery-style pretzels!
SIMPLE RECIPE FOR HOMEMADE PRETZELS
Feel free to scroll down to quickly print the recipe, but I’m going to go ahead and list it HERE for you to quickly skim so you know if you have all the ingredients!
- 1 ½ cups Bread Flour*
- 3 Tbsp Butter (Softened)
- 1 tsp Raw Honey or Sugar
- 2 tsp Baking Powder
- ½ tsp Salt
- ⅔ cup Milk
- 1 Egg (beaten for egg wash)
- Melted Butter
- Milk Chocolate Chips (Melted)
- Granulated Sugar
- Coarse Salt
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Mix flour, baking powder, salt, butter honey and milk in a stand mixer with a dough hook until dough forms a ball. If you are not using a stand mixer, mix by hand in a large bowl with a wooden spoon until dough forms a ball. Knead dough until smooth and elastic
- Transfer dough to floured surface and divide into 8 balls.
- Form each ball into an approximately 18 inch rope.
- Form rope into a pretzel shape.
- Transfer pretzels to a greased cookie sheet . Brush with egg wash and sprinkle with coarse salt if using.
- Bake for 12 -15 minutes until golden.
- Remove pretzels from the oven and brush with melted butter. You can also dip them in a cinnamon and sugar mixture or melted chocolate chips and sprinkles. Enjoy! Best served the same day and warm!
* You may also use All Purpose flour for this recipe. The bread flour yields a more crusty result.
Printable version below!