How to Make Upside Down Cake
Before you preheat that oven, read our best cake baking tips!
It will give you a head start to making the BEST upside down cake!
For all those warm weather gatherings, this version of upside down cake is in super-cute, tiny form!
You bake these in a muffin tin — how cool is that?
Ok. Party confession here.
I absolutely love, love a dessert table that has smaller versions of my favorite dessert!
I deplore having to cut my own slice of cake or pie.
I know, I know.
That’s waaa-waaa talk, but I’m just being real.
Because we’re talking about dessert! <3
Psst! Don’t be worried about using a cake mix — with the extra ingredients you add into the mix, your cake will turn out gorgeous, smooth, super-moist and oh-so-rich!
Use our bakery-style cakes from cake mix post here! It has brilliant tips!
No one will know you had a cake mix in the ingredients!
Best Tips for Making Mango Coconut Upside Down Cake
Make sure you don’t over-bake your cake.
This is the number one mess-up home-bakers make.
Remove cakes from the oven BEFORE it looks completely done.
It continues to “bake” a smidgen or two as it cools.
Line your Cake Pans with Parchment Paper
This encourages even baking and less mess!
Always use butter
Do not give into the temptation of using oil!
Did You notice This Upside Down Cake Has a Homemade Syrup?
It’s the perfect touch of sweetness to add to the tart mango and crunchy coconut layers!
Now, if you’re not a coconut fan, I will not be offended at all if you choose to leave that crunchy, sweet ingredient out.
My husband despises coconut, so I leave it out when I’m baking just for him.
But coconut fans?
Mango and coconut go perfectly together!
Oh, and for the best cake possible, make sure you invest in a really good vanilla extract — like this vanilla extract.
You’ll be glad you did!
I truly wonder how much vanilla is actually in the cheaper brands because you can taste the difference!
If you’re brave enough, snd me YOUR images of your homemade mango upside down cakes!
I would love to see how your cakes turned out!
Always feel free to share your favorite recipe with our group of moms on Facebook!
- Box of white cake mix (with pudding in the mix)
- 1 1/2 cups diced mango
- 1/2 cup melted butter
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 3/4 cup toasted coconut
For the Syrup
- 2 tablespoons light brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon white sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven at 350 degrees.
- In a mixing bowl mix cake mix, 3 eggs, ½ oil, 1 cup of water and sour cream.
- Fold toasted coconut into cake batter.
- Grease a muffin pan.
- Place diced mango into bottom for greased muffin tins.
- Gently pour cake batter on top of each group of diced mangoes to create the small cakes.
- Bake for 15-17 minutes or until cakes are golden brown.
- Let cakes completely cool and remove from muffin tins.
For the syrup
- Prepare syrup by putting all ingredients in a bowl and microwave for 30 seconds.
- Gently pour syrup over cakes before serving.
- Sprinkle with additional toasted coconut.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1 grams
Amount Per Serving: Unsaturated Fat: 0g