If you have ever checked out my recipes, you would know by now that my family loves Tex-Mex, pizza and cheese — without apology. We also love comforting, hearty meals that make the kids want to lick their plates clean! This is where the Southwestern Chicken taco casserole comes in.
I found this recipe in a Food Network magazine and added my own twist and turns to it so it would please my family’s tastes. Yes, I read recipe magazines in my free time, on dates and on vacation. I’m a little addicted to perfecting recipes and serving the best to my family and friends. I associate good food with happiness.
[include id=”6″ title=”inside post ad”]
One of the the things I noticed about the recipe in the magazine is that is called for cream of chicken soup. I am not a fan of the cream soups. They always tend to have a fake, overpowering, metallic taste. Enjoy my homemade version that’s packed with loads of flavor!
Typically Southwestern dishes include corn, but I like to break the foodie rules. Feel free to add some corn if you like, but I prefer it without. It’s just my thing. Plus, the recipe didn’t even add onions! If I am cooking Tex-Mex, Southwestern, Asian or American, you bet I’m adding onions. Those yummy white veggies add some amazing flavor and should not be ignored! By the way, have you ever tried pearl onions? Those are my fave, but I digress.
So after giving an already popular recipe some tweaks, it was finally ready to serve my family and a friend that comes over almost daily. The verdict was unanimous — Southwestern Chicken Taco Casserole was a keeper! There were no left-overs and several kiddos said it was the “best-ever” recipe! Even my pickiest child of all gave me a thumbs up sign.
If you’re like me, black beans speak to your heart. Enjoy the flavors of black beans, fresh tomatoes, onions, cilantro, green onions and more all swirled together to create a mouth-watering flavor. Ready to get the family-friendly, tweaked to perfection chicken casserole? Check it out below and don’t forget to share with your friends so they can make their families happy too!
- 4 cups cooked shredded chicken
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 5 cups crushed tortilla chips
- 2 cups freshly diced tomatoes
- 1 15 oz can black beans, drained
- 2 1/2 cups chicken broth
- 3/4 cup flour
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon chicken seasoning
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 large onion, diced and cooked
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 envelope taco seasoning
- fresh chopped green onion and cilantro for garnish
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
- In large mixing bowl, add chicken, tomatoes, black beans, onion, taco seasoning and sour cream.
- Make your cream of chicken soup by bringing your chicken broth and 1/2 cup milk to a low boil. Stir chicken seasoning, flour, salt and paprika in small bowl. Add seasoned flour mixture to the remaining one cup milk and whisk until smooth. Add milky, seasoned mixture to the chicken broth. Continue to cook on low for 5 minutes and stir or whisk continually. Remove from heat.
- Add your fresh cream of chicken soup mixture to the chicken mixture and stir thoroughly.
- In a 9x13 pan, layer your chicken mixture, then crushed chips, then cheddar cheese. Repeat layers as desired.
- End with chips and cheese on top.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until chips are golden brown and cheese is melted.
If you can't stand soft tortilla chips, only use 2 cups crushed and layer on the top only. My family enjoyed them in the casserole, but your preferences may be different!