Hi everyone! I’m Chels from Catz in the Kitchen. I’m super excited to be over here and sharing an easy and yummy Mexican Lasagna with all of you today.
My family loves Mexican food. It doesn’t matter if it’s authentic or not, when it’s Mexican night at our house (which it is every Tuesday), everyone gets excited.
There are so many ways to throw “typical Mexican” flavors together to create something new and different from classic burgers, pastas, soups, and so many others. But one of my favorite ways to mix things up is to throw things into a lasagna. Easy ingredients get layered together to make a perfect bite that is guaranteed to please even the pickiest of eaters.
For this Mexican lasagna, I took some help from what was in my pantry and freezer. I used leftover rotisserie chicken to make a tangy but zesty filling, layered corn and black beans on top, while corn tortillas that were halved acted as my “lasagna noodle.”
My family was crazy about this dinner! We all had seconds or thirds with just enough leftover for my husband to take the rest to work for lunch the following day — he said, “It was just as good the second day as it was fresh out of the oven.”
I just know that your family will love this as much as mine did — it quickly became a favorite for us! Want to add an awesome side dish to this Mexican lasagna? Try this homemade Guacamole recipe that is FULL of fresh flavor!
- 2 cups cooked chicken breast, chopped (I used rotisserie chicken)
- 2 tbsp chili powder
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 1 (4 oz) can green chilis
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 1/3 cup salsa
- 1 (15 oz) can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 (15 oz) can corn, drained
- 10 corn tortillas, cut in half
- 2 cups shredded Mexican blend cheese
- 3 tbsp fresh cilantro, chopped
- 2 hot house tomatoes, diced
- Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees.
- Grease a 9x13 baking dish with non-stick spray and spread 1/3 cup of salsa on the bottom of the dish. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine chili powder, cumin, green chilis, 1 cup salsa, sour cream, and 2 tbsp of chopped cilantro. Fold in chicken.
- In a small bowl, combine corn and black beans. Set aside.
- Layer about 5 tortillas on the bottom of the baking dish-making sure you lay the straight side of the cut tortilla on the ends of the baking dish. Spread half of the chicken mixture over the tortillas, then half of the bean mixture followed by 1 cup of shredded cheese. Repeat that layer.
- Cover with foil and bake for 40 minutes. Remove foil and bake for an additional 10-15 minutes. Top with diced tomatoes and remaining cilantro.
*Affiliate links have been added to help make your Mexican Lasagna a success!*