Does your family love tater tots? They are endangered around our home! This tater tot casserole did NOT last long! In fact I heard my son say, “Awww….man!” when he realized this dish had been gobbled up by our ever-hungry family.
Casseroles are awesome for busy moms. They create a yummy, one-dish meal that you can pop in the oven while you clean, shower or play with the kids! Casseroles are also considered a comfort food. All families need comfort foods once in a while, right? Especially during holidays and the busy school year!
Don’t worry, there are NO canned soups in this recipe. I can hear the cheers now! Sure, you can sub my easy, homemade cream soup recipe with a canned version, but trust me — homemade is best. Of course it’s healthier and cheaper, but it also tastes sooooo much better. Trust me on this one!
Adding some meat to this recipe makes it automatically a main dish — so yay for easy main dishes! Of course, you can leave out the meat for a side dish or even change the meat to crumbled sausage for a breakfast casserole. Hey, tater tots can be eaten any time of the day — right?
Is your husband a meat and potatoes man? Most men are. In fact, I remember asking my mom, “Why do we have to eat mashed potatoes so much?”
She took the opportunity to let me in on a man-secret. “Because men like potatoes, and your dad and brothers like them.”
But, it just so happens that my mom makes the best mashed potatoes this side of Texas. No, I don’t live in Texas, but the line just sounded good to me — wink, wink! In fact, she calls them “cream potatoes.” As a child and teen, I often wondered why my mom called them “cream potatoes” when everyone else said “mashed potatoes.” Now I know why. Hers are the creamiest ever. Loads of butter and milk — just the way mashed potatoes should be made. But, hey we’re talking about tater tots here — but tater tots and mashed potatoes are brothers. Sure nuff.
Don’t forget to take the time to bake your tater tots first. Have you ever eaten mushy tater tots? So. Not. Yummy. Bake those cute tots first, then add them to your cheesy casserole.
Ready to dive in and enjoy a hearty, potatoey, cheesy casserole? Recipe follows!
- 1 lb. ground beef
- 1 large yellow onion, diced
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 Tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 2 1/2 cups chicken broth
- 3/4 cup flour
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon chicken seasoning
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 6 cups tater tots
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Place tater tots on an ungreased cookie sheet and bake until golden brown and crispy.
- In medium-sized skillet, cook diced onion and ground beef in two tablespoons cooking oil. Cook until beef is no longer pink and onions are tender. Add Worcestershire sauce and 1/4 cup water and continue cooking for two minutes on low.
- In medium saucepan, bring chicken broth and 1/2 cup milk to a low boil. Stir chicken seasoning, flour, salt and paprika in small bowl. Add flour mixture to the remaining one cup milk and whisk until smooth. Add milky, seasoned mixture to the saucepan. Continue to cook on low for 5 minutes and stir or whisk continually. Remove from heat.
- Place ground beef mixture in bottom of 11 x 7 baking pan.
- Sprinkle half of the cheese on top.
- Place tater tots on top of cheese.
- Pour cream of chicken mixture over tater tots and top with remaining cheese.
- Bake for 20 minutes at 400 degrees Fahrenheit. Enjoy!