Taco Casserole just Got a Southwestern Twist!
Taco pies and a taco casserole…
They’re the best way to enjoy all your favorite foods in one dish!
Cilantro, Goya black beans, onions and other SECRET ingredients create this Southwestern Taco Casserole that your family will flip for!
Tex-Mex food is something our family always makes time to indulge in.
Layers of cheese…
Gorgeous black beans… (Goya brand is a great choice!)
They make beautiful, fiesta music — don’t you think?
Many moons ago our family decided thatfamilymeals were crazyimportant.
Now, our focus is to create comforting, hearty meals that make the kids want to lick their plates clean!
And this Southwestern Taco Casserole ticks those boxes!
Some other favorite Mexican and Tex Mex dishes you might love are listed below!
Southwestern and Tex Mex Recipes
- Easy Taco Bake
- Easiest Taco Lasagna
- Easy Mexican Lasagna
- Speedy, Meatless Burritos
- Instant Pot Chicken Tacos
Guess what, foodie moms?
This taco casserole uses no canned cream soups!
You’re virtually hugging me now, right?!
I feel your pain.
It seems you can never find a casserole that doesn’t spoon in a few globs of “cream of mystery” soup.
And those casseroles?
They always end up with a canned flavor.
But this one?
It’s fresh, ya’ll..
I was inspired to create this recipe when I was reading a recipe magazine!
Yes, I read recipe magazines in my free time, on dates and on vacation.
I’m a little addicted to perfecting recipes and serving the best to my family and friends.
I associate good food with happiness.
And sometimes that means getting creative in the kitchen!
I completely encourage you to get creative with this taco casserole!
You know what your family loves!
We used chicken in this Southwestern taco casserole, but you can use beef.
We also left out corn, but you can add it in! (Most Southwestern recipes use corn…but it’s just not our thing.)
So after giving an already popular recipe some tweaks, it was finally ready to serve my family and a friend that comes over almost daily this hearty, cheesy dish!
The final verdict was unanimous — Southwestern Chicken Taco Casserole was a keeper!
There were no left-overs and several kiddos said it was the “best-ever” recipe!
Even my pickiest child of all gave me a thumbs up sign. That makes mama’s heart smile!
If you’re like me, black beans speak to your heart.
And these black bean tacos look sooo yummy!
Enjoy the flavors of black beans, fresh tomatoes, onions, cilantro, green onions and more all swirled together to create a mouth-watering, easy family dinner.
Ready to get the tweaked to perfection, Southwestern chicken casserole?
And one more additional recipe note: if your family really likes a crunchy topping, only add the final layer of crushed chips and shredded chips the last five minutes of baking!
If you don’t want your chips as crunchy, just bake as directed.
Either way, this recipe is a winner!
Check it out below and don’t forget to share with your friends so they can make their families happy too!
Be sure to join our Fave Families Recipe group on Facebook so you can see even MORE family favorite recipes!
- 4 cups cooked shredded chicken
- 2 cups shredded cheddar
- 5 cups crushed tortilla chips
- 2 cups freshly diced or canned diced tomatoes
- 1 15oz can Goya brand black beans, drained
- 2 1/2 cups chicken broth
- 3/4 cups all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon chicken seasoning or chicken bouillon
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 large onion, diced and cooked
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 envelope taco seasoning
- freshly chopped green onion and cilantro for garnish
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
- In large mixing bowl, add chicken, tomatoes, black beans, onion, taco seasoning and sour cream.
- Make your cream of chicken soup by bringing your chicken broth and 1/2 cup milk to a low boil.
- Stir chicken seasoning, flour, salt and paprika in small bowl.
- Add seasoned flour mixture to the remaining one cup milk and whisk until smooth.
- Add milky, seasoned mixture to the chicken broth.
- Continue to cook on low for 5 minutes and stir or whisk continually.
- Remove from heat.
- Add your fresh cream of chicken soup mixture to the chicken mixture and stir thoroughly.
- In a 9x13 pan, layer your chicken mixture, then crushed chips, then cheddar cheese. Repeat layers as desired.
- Sprinkle remaining crushed chips and cheese for the top layer.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until chips are golden brown and cheese is melted.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 10 Serving Size: 1 grams
Amount Per Serving: Unsaturated Fat: 0g