How to Make a Veggies Tray in a More Creative Way: Make a Veggie Train!
I’m always looking for ways to serve vegetables in a more fun way!
Most people consider childhood fun memories that are equated with sugary treats.
Why not fill your child’s memories with fun AND veggies with this fresh veggie train?
Easy Veggie Train is the Perfect Veggies Tray for Kids!
It’s fun AND healthy!
This veggie train is pretty simple.
Your kiddos can join right in and fill the train cars with baby carrots, broccoli florets, celery, cherry tomatoes and any fresh veggie that will fit!
What’s more fun about this train is that the veggies give it a ton of color!
Have you noticed that kid cartoons, books and toys are full of colors?
This Veggies Tray is Super Colorful!
Yep. Bright, fun and cheery colors appeal to kids — so use that color-love to your advantage in your child’s diet!
My son played with the cucumber locomotive for quite some time.
He loved how wooden toothpicks held all the veggies together!
Just be sure you’re very careful when connecting the veggies!
How to Make the Veggie Train
For the locomotive, push the toothpick through the carrots before attaching them to the train.
This will prevent sticking your finger with the toothpick — I speak from experience!
That way no part of this train goes to waste!
This veggie train would be a fun addition to the next kid party you attend.
Someone almost always requests a veggie tray, why not take it up a notch with this fun twist?
I broke the mom rules of all mom rules when we made this veggie train the other day.
Kids Can Play with the Veggie Train!
Yes, I told my cute munchkins to “Play with your food!”
Does that make me a bad mom now?
Hmmm, maybe not, but definitely a silly mom!
Enjoy making your veggie train and enjoy adding more veggies into your child’s diet — the fun way!
Happy veggie trails!
When Will You TRansdorm Your Veggies Tray into a Veggie Train?
*Affiliate links have been added to help you create your train!
Fresh Veggie Train
- 4 cucumbers (large)
- baby carrots
- fresh broccoli florets
- fresh celery
- 6 large peppers (green, yellow, and red)
- cherry tomatoes
- Wash and dry all veggies.
- Gently slice off a tin layer of the bottom of the peppers so they all lay flat at the same height.
- Cut off all the tops of the peppers and remove seeds.
- Slice two cucumbers completely to create wheels for the train. Four wheels per pepper. Attach all cucumbers with toothpicks.
- Cut one cucumber in half.
- Cut a thin layer off the the top (lengthwise) of on of the halves.
- Place wheels on that half to create the locomotive.
- Take two baby carrots and cut 1/2 of each carrot off. Place on top of locomotive.
- Take the remaining half of the cucumber and turn it upside down. Gently cut the inside of it out leaving a thin layer of flesh and peel to create an area of the conductor. (see images for details) Carve a small window in one side.
- Slice a three inch piece off the top of a cucumber and place it on top and secure with toothpicks to complete the locomotive.
- Place all piece of train together to create the completed train. Fill with fresh veggies.
- Dig in!