At almost every baby shower, church function or birthday party, you could count on my mom to make one fun dish — pigs in a blanket! As long as this recipe has been around, you would be surprised at the number of people who hardly ever get to chow down on these yummies! These are perfect for a holiday party, picnic, football snack or any large gathering. Trust me, it’s a lot cheaper and easier than serving hot-dogs with all the fixins’ to a large crowd.
There are lots of versions of this fun recipe. My mom always used those super-cheap canned biscuits — really, the cheapest on the shelf at the store — yep those are the ones. I remember watching her roll out those biscuits and fill cookie sheet after cookie sheet with yummy piggies. I was always so proud that my mom was the one who brought the finger food that everyone raved about. Rarely were there left-overs for us to bring home!
Every time I make pigs in a blanket, I think of my mom, so this recipe is super-special to me! We live oceans away from each other, but I think about her often. Do you have any recipes that always remind you of family? I hope one day my kiddos will think of me when they cook!
Now, like I mentioned before, my mom always used canned biscuits, but I make mine from scratch. You can get my biscuit recipe here. Either way, they still turn out super-yummy, canned or from scratch! My mom was smart to use a frugal, time-saver like canned biscuits! I just can’t get them where I live, so from scratch it is!
What makes these pigs in a blanket really win the “best party appetizer in the world prize”? The spicey mustard dipping sauce. Yes ma’am. Mom, if you’re reading this, you really should try the sauce. It will make your piggies jump for joy! ;0)
Don’t worry, the dipping sauce can be whipped up in minutes and is super-easy. Want to serve it to your kids and they can’t stand spice? Simply leave out the chili powder — no problem! Side note: my kids say they don’t like spicey stuff, but they loved this sauce — with the chili pepper!
If you’re looking for the perfect party food or appetizer, you won’t go wrong with pigs in the blanket. Who doesn’t like hot-dogs, biscuits or cheese? Enjoy!
- 8 hot-dogs, cut into fourths and then slice each 4th in half vertically
- 21 raw biscuits (canned or homemade)
- 21 slices of cheese
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1 Tablespoon mustard
- 2 Tablespoons honey
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- dash salt
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
- For pigs in the blanket: Roll out each biscuit on a floured surface until it is flat and oval-shaped. Cut biscuit into three vertical pieces.
- Cut cheese slices to fit the biscuit pieces.
- Place cut cheese slices on flattened biscuits.
- Place a small hot-dog on one end of the biscuit and roll up and place on an ungreased cookie sheet.
- Repeat for each pig in a blanket.
- Bake until biscuits are puffed up, lightly brown and cheese oozes out -- approximately 15 minutes.
- Remove from oven and let slightly cool before serving.
- For dipping sauce: Mix all ingredients together with whisk in small bowl and refrigerate until ready to eat