Hi! I’m Alison and I’m a mom of six kids and I said goodbye to my 20’s years ago — sniff, sniff!
When I turned 30, I realized I needed to invest some time and energy into finding some beauty hacks for moms. That’s when one of the most amazing oils known to man entered my life — coconut oil.
After sharing a true story about one of my friend’s journey from severely damaged hair to gorgeous hair, I was inspired to start working on my own locks. After several pregnancies, sometimes your hair needs a little bit more TLC — right?
So, I started using hair masks and creams.
I definitely saw an immediate difference — in just weeks.
Before I started using hair masks, my hair was falling out like crazy.
I was shedding worse than my German Shepherd — and that’s scary!
Applying hair masks twice a week was worth the time and investment.
But then I started thinking about that huge list of chemicals on the ingredients list for my hair masks.
Hmmm…that can’t be good!
So, I ventured a little into the healthy, organic realm of beauty — and I have never been a crunchy mom.
Pretty much, but crunchy? Nah.
Everyone was raving about coconut oil, so I decided to give it a try. And, there is no turning back for me now.
I honestly don’t own any essential oils and don’t plan on it, so please, please don’t try to sell me some after you read this post.
And you know what I love about coconut oil? It’s cheap. I mean super-cheap.
And yes, I get the extra virgin kind.
Nature’s Way Organic Extra Virgin Coconut Oil- Pure, Cold-pressed, Organic, Non-GMO, Gluten-free- 32 OunceSt. Ives Exfoliate & Nourish Facial Oil Scrub, Coconut, 4.23 ozCalily Life Organic Coconut Oil Hair Mask with Natural Dead Sea Minerals, 17 Oz. – Repairs Damaged Hair, Hydrates, Shines, Moisturizes & Softens – Increases Natural & Healthy Hair Growth [ENHANCED]
It’s best if you can get the unrefined, rich stuff. And remember, just like anything else, a little goes a long way!
Enjoy these coconut oil beauty hacks that I personally guarantee 95% of moms will love!
Why 95%? Because there are always going to be haters…wink, wink!
Your skin, hair and nails will thank you for trying these hacks — not to mention your budget!
Get to hacking!
Coconut Oil Beauty Hacks for Moms
- Intense Treatment for hair. OK. Mom-fession right here. I have never, ever dyed my hair. I know…totally boring — but it’s the truth. So since I don’t spend time on getting highlights and picking the perfect shade of brunette, I wanted to focus on making my hair stronger, thicker, healthier and shinier. Using coconut oil as an intense hair mask and treatment has done precisely that. I live in a very harsh environment for hair — crazy heat, humidity and pollution. Those are things I cannot change, but I can try to protect my hair and nourish it. Using coconut oil has made a huge visible difference in my hair. And, of course I love how it feels! It feels super soft and strong. And, here’s a bonus — it gives me that “I straightened my hair look” without the straightening iron!
Here’s a super quick tutorial on how to use coconut oil as an intense hair treatment/mask:
DIY Coconut Oil Treatment
Grab your jar of coconut oil and begin rubbing into hair in small sections. This helps ensure that all of your hair gets the benefits of the oil. I concentrate more on the tips because if I put too much on my scalp it will take forever to wash out and I will be left looking like a yucky, greasy head! For best results, once your hair is completely covered with the oil, put your hair in a clip, scrunchie or twistie and cover with a towel or hair net overnight. Giving the oil a full seven or eight hours makes a huge difference. But, if you’re short on time, one hour is a great goal to see some positive changes to your hair. Once your oil treatment is done, thoroughly shampoo and rinse three times to remove the oil from your hair. Dry and style as usual!
- Leave-in Hair Conditioner for tips. Coconut oil is perfect for helping tame flyaways and fight against frizz. Apply a small amount to the tips of your hair for a smooth, polished look. Also, place a tiny amount on your hands, rub the oil into your hands slightly and gently pat your hair. This makes those frizzies from humidity much more manageable!
- Eye make-up remover. I wish I knew this years ago! Coconut oil is ahh–mazing for removing eye make-up! Simply dab some onto a cotton ball and gently remove any eye make-up. Seriously, go try it now. I was shocked at how easily the make-up came off! Plus, the coconut oil is perfect for conditioning your eyelashes — and it’s cheaper and healthier than commercial eye make-up remover!
- Cuticle cream. Applying coconut oil directly onto your cuticles helps soften them and strengthens your nails!
- Shaving cream. I love shaving with coconut oil! It makes my legs smoother and super-soft. And razor burn? Doesn’t exist! Try it!
- DIY highlighter. Moms can face many sleepless nights, right? Perk up with a diy, natural highlighter — coconut oil! Sweep a small amount of coconut oil on top of makeup and you’re done. Don’t rub it in or wash it off — that’s it! It looks like your skin but adds a glowy touch, which is why many natural makeup brands use it as a base ingredient in their formulas.
- Natural body scrub. Taking time to exfoliate gives you healthier, brighter and softer skin! And trust me, the store-bought body scrubs are waaaay over-priced. I know. in the past, I worked at Bath and Body Works. The body scrub was one of our main products to demonstrate on the customers — and it was a top-seller — but at a hefty price tag! If you want to make your own awesome body scrub, heat 1/2 cup of coconut oil on low heat until melted. Then, gently pour the melted coconut oil over 1 cup of brown sugar and stir well. You can also add some vanilla extract for a fun scent!
- Eye Cream. It’s cheap, natural and super-easy. Gently massage a few dabs of coconut oil on the around your eyes to prevent wrinkles, crow’s feet and big, ole’ duffle bags. I’ll let you know in ten years how much younger I look from using coconut oil as an eye cream. Right now in my life, using any ant-wrinkle or eye product is a work of faith. Only time will tell if they truly are effective! But, hey — I’d rather try it then be sorry for not!
- Heat rashes. As the weather heats up, moms and kids are prone to heat rashes. When a heat rash shows up, I grab my bottle of coconut oil and get to dabbing. It brings relief from the itchiness and clears up the rash in just a few days. And heat rashes can be less than becoming, don’t you think?
Tell me moms, do you use coconut oil? Will you try it? Let’s chat about it on social media!
*Affiliate links have been added to help you enjoy some beauty hacks!*