Pigs in a blanket are a favorite for kids and adults! This recipe uses only 3 ingredients!
Appetizers are always a hit (like these pizza egg rolls)…any day for the week!
And appetizers are even better if they use few and simple ingredients!
I bet you have ALL these ingredients in your fridge right now.
Or, you’ll be grabbing them when you head to the grocery store!
Ingredients Needed for Pigs in a Blanket
Hotdogs: We use all-beef because we’re kind of hotdog snobs
Sliced Cheese: Make it easy and use American sliced cheese or change it up and use pepper jack or sharp cheddar!
Biscuits: You can use canned (that makes this recipe super quick! I don’t recommend Grands, but rather a simple, smaller biscuit) or homemade. Our favorite homemade biscuit is here.
Optional: Mayo, honey, and salt. We include a homemade honey mustard dip in this recipe that will knock your socks off!
Variations of Pigs in a Blanket:
Crescent Rolls. These make your pigs in a blanket look fancier at a holiday table, but our friends and family still prefer biscuits!
Smokies. You can use these instead of hotdogs, but we LOVE the hotdogs.
How to Make Pigs in a Blanket
- Open canned biscuits and slice the biscuit into 1″ slices.
- Cut cheese into 1″ slices.
- Roll out biscuits until 1 inch thick.
- Cut biscuits into 1″ slices.
- Place cheese and hotdogs onto biscuits.
- Roll up the pigs in a blanket and pinch seam side to seal.
- Place pigs in the blanket seam side down on an ungreased cookie sheet.
- Bake and serve.
Can you Freeze Pigs in a Blanket?
Yes. Follow the recipe as normal, then let pigs in a blanket cool completely.
Once cooled, flash freeze pigs in the blanket (learn how to flash freeze food here) on cookie sheet in the freezer.
After flash freezing, place them into a freezer-friendly bag and freeze up to 3 months.
When you’re ready to serve, remove directly from freezer and place in an oven that’s been preheated to 375 degrees Fahrenheit. Bake for 15 minutes.
Why is This the BEST Pigs in a Blanket Recipe
This is my mom’s recipe.
It’s been tweaked over the years to be the party favorite.
One thing it has most recipes don’t have (and should!), is cheese.
The cheese creates tiny, oozing bundles of comfort!
Plus, the homemade honey mustard dipping sauce adds the perfect bang of flavor!
Want Some More Party Appetizer Recipes?
Find our favorites below!
Pigs in a Blanket
Three ingredients make pigs in a blanket a super simple, easy appetizer that everyone loves! It's packed with cheese, hotdogs, and biscuits!
- 8 in hot-dogs, cut into fourths and then slice each 4thhalf vertically
- 21 raw biscuits, canned or homemade
- 21 slices of cheese
- For dipping sauce
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1 Tablespoon mustard
- 2 Tablespoons honey
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- dash salt
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
- For pigs in the blanket: Roll out each biscuit on a floured surface until it is flat and oval-shaped. Cut biscuit into three vertical pieces.
- Cut cheese slices to fit the biscuit pieces.
- Place cut cheese slices on flattened biscuits.
- Place a small hot-dog on one end of the biscuit and roll up and place on an ungreased cookie sheet.
- Repeat for each pig in a blanket.
- Bake until biscuits are puffed up, lightly brown and cheese oozes out -- approximately 15 minutes.
- Remove from oven and let slightly cool before serving.
- For dipping sauce: Mix all ingredients together with whisk in small bowl and refrigerate until ready to eat
Nutrition Information:Yield: 64 Serving Size: 1 grams
Amount Per Serving: Unsaturated Fat: 0g