Homemade Ham Turkey and Cheese Pockets are Delicious and Simple!
I love to keep ingredients for easy recipes (these these tortilla pizzas) on hand.
In a busy family, you never know when you’ll need a super quick meal!
To be honest, puffed pastry (the secret behind these homemade pockets) has saved this mom a time or hundred.
We’ve used them to make these apple turnovers last minute for guests, we’ve used them for pizza, for spinach bakes and more.
Plus, we can make and freeze these pockets ahead of time and anytime my kids get hungry they can grab one from the freezer and heat one up!
How Ham, Turkey and Cheese Pockets Make Cooking for Your Family Easy
On our big baking days we can make batches and batches of these homemade, ham, turkey and cheese pockets!
Either way, you’re going ot get some great recipes all prepped that will be ready to grab and eat!
The kids love baking (and eating) and I love recipes that don’t make ginormous amounts of flour messes!
So these ham, turkey and cheese pockets are definitely a crowd-pleaser!
Ham, Turkey, and Cheese Pockets are Great for Lunch!
Easy ham,turkey and cheese pockets will take care of our big batch lunch making adventures and then we can tackle big batches of mini ham and cheese quiches for breakfast!
And on busy school nights, we can still whip up a fresh batch of these because they literally take a few minutes to prep and bake!
Every busy parent needs some super-fast, dependable yummy meals to help them soar through parenting!
Keeping ready-to-go ingredients in our fridge like ham, turkey, and roast beef makes that super easy!
Two Other Filling Ideas for Homemade Pockets
You can follow this recipe and switch out the filling with the ideas below!
- Chicken, Broccoli, & Cheese Filling: Mix 2 cups chopped cooked broccoli, 1 cup chopped cooked chicken, 1 cup shredded cheese, 2 Tablespoons sour cream, salt and pepper to taste.
- Pepperoni Pizza Filling: Spread 1 heaping Tablespoon of your favorite pizza sauce onto the 1 side of each dough rectangle. Divide 1 and 1/2 cups of shredded mozzarella cheese and 3/4 cup of mini pepperonis between each and layer on top of the sauce. Add 1 cup of grated of shredded parmesan and a few sprinkles of parsley.
HOW TO FREEZE Ham and Turkey Pockets
Make a BIG batch and freeze for a quick dinner or to pack for lunches.
To freeze hot pockets:
Place fully cooked and cooled hot pockets onto a baking sheet and place into the freezer.
Freeze until the outside is solid.
This process takes about one hour.
Place frozen pockets in a freezer-safe bag for up to 3 months.
To reheat hot pockets from frozen:
Place pockets on a baking sheet and bake at 400 degrees for 12-15 minutes or place an individual hot pocket on a microwave-safe plate and microwave for 2 minutes.
Let cool 2-3 minutes before enjoying.
HOW TO PACK POCKETS FOR LUNCHES
These homemade turkey and ham pockets make great lunches for work or school lunch!
- Place a homemade pocket (frozen or from the fridge) wrapped in parchment paper in a lunch bag with an ice pack. Heat the hot pocket right on the parchment paper in the microwave for 1-2 minutes. Then, it’s ready to eat!
- No microwave at work or school? Heat a pocket before leaving and place in a thermos or insulated container and your pocket will be warm and ready for your lunch.
- If you like your hot pockets room temperature, heat the pocket in the morning before leaving for school or work. Pack the warm hot pocket in lunch container along with an ice pack. This keeps the hot pocket from developing bacteria while sitting in a locker or at an office desk.
And more about our homemade ham, cheese and turkey pockets…
Since we like to keep ALL our recipes kid-friendly, be sure to leave out the onions or peppers you have a young child that abhors those!
But, set some yummy sautéed onions and peppers to the side for the teens and adults who may appreciate the good stuff!;0)
MORE TURKEY AND HAM RECIPES:
Turkey Stuffed Tomatoes
Print out the recipe below, tape to your fridge, and make sure you keep all the ingredients for the homemade pockets on hand so you can be super meal maker too!
Maybe one day YOUR kids wills thank you for being the meal maker in the family! <3
- 1 17.3oz box puffed pastry sheets
- 2 2 oz or larger packages of thinly sliced ham, Buddig brand
- 2 2 oz or larger packages of thinly sliced turkey
- 4 slices mild cheddar cheese
- 4 slices provolone cheese
- 2 onions diced and sautéed in two tablespoons of butter
- 1 green pepper diced and sautéed in two tablespoons of butter
- 1 large egg, whisked
- Cut each pastry sheet into fourths and roll each square slightly thinner.
- Add 2 slices of ham, 2 slices of turkey, 1/2 slice of cheddar, 1/2 slice of provolone cheese and a teaspoon of onion and a teaspoon of the green pepper to half of each square.
- Brush whisked egg on the edges of the half of the square with meat and cheese, so you can fold over the top and seal the edges.
- Fold over the top half of the dough and pinch the edges or crimp them with a fork to seal the dough together.
- Place pockets on a parchment or lined baking sheet.
- Cut a few slits on top of each pocket with a knife for ventilation, and then brush the tops with the whisked egg.
- Bake at 400 degrees Fahrenheit for 15 to 25 minutes.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8 Serving Size: 1 grams
Amount Per Serving: Unsaturated Fat: 0g