The Most Thoughtful Christmas Gifts to Give Your Child This Year
“It’s the thought that counts, right?”
Most people say this line in reference really bad gifts they receive during the holidays, but I believe each gift should be filled with heart and thought — especially gifts for kids.
I don’t always load up on the latest and greatest gifts every year, but rather choose to invest in gifts that will make a difference in the long-run.
You know, like the gift you still remember this day that your grandmother gave you when you were six years old?
Gifts like that are the ones that make the most thoughtful gifts list!
Take notes as these are the MOST THOUGHTFUL gifts for kids ever known to man — at least in my opinion!
Most Thoughtful Holiday Gift Guide
- Recordable storybooks. This gift has so many sweet and thoughtful aspects to it! Give your child a Build a Bear gift card and then go to the store together to create a special unique bear. Your child will not only have the memory of creating their special stuffed animal with you, but will also be able to keep those quality toys for years! Build a Bear offers many personalization options that make each bear or stuffed animal special and unique!
- Photo books. These are super-creative ways to keep special memories all in one safe place for your child to explore!My favorite pick?
Any of the photo books from Pinhole Press!
I love the board version pictured below…there’s a daddy and me version too!
- This gift says, “I am planning on spending LOTS of fun time with you — together!”
[adthrive-in-post-video-player video-id=”UWYHM541″ upload-date=”2018-05-20T05:48:07.000Z” name=”Fun Ways to PLAY with Kids” description=”Great ideas for playing with kids!”]
- Piano Lessons, karate lessons etc. Several years ago one of my piano student’s parents told me that their lessons were part of their Christmas gifts.You know what?
Their children (it was three kids) were my best piano students ever.
Giving lessons as gifts made them all the more special and the parents and the kids made sure they practiced and took their lessons seriously.
If your child wants to pursue a skill, give them lessons as a gift!
- Parent/Child Journal Sometimes it is much easier to write down our innermost feelings that to say them out-loud.Give your child a special journal where just you two can write personal thoughts to each other.
And you definitely want to consider an embarrassing questions journal too for super-tough questions!
Have a designated space in your home where you can each place the journal if you have something important or pressing to discuss, but find it too difficult to put into words.
It’s also just a sweet way to stay connected and let each other know that you are loved and cherished.
- Hope Chest. My girls are so excited about inheriting my hope chest.Thought they are only 11 years old and under, they want to start saving special, memorable objects for their future now.
They also enjoy holding and touching treasures from the past.
My wedding dress, some special china, and a coming home baby outfit are all tucked away in my chest awaiting my daughters.
By giving them their own chest, you are helping prepare them for many treasured memories for the future!
- Personalized Trinket Boxes All of my kids have treasures.My youngest stuffs his into a sock, my other daughter finds empty boxes to keep her “treasures” in.
I bought my oldest daughter a jewelry box and everyone oohed and ahead.
Kids love a unique place to keep their treasures — whether it’s rocks, shiny buttons or jewelry… It’s all precious to them!
- Craft book with tons of supplies. I never did many crafts with my kids until a few years ago. Wow, was I missing out!Crafts are a great way to make memories with your kids and enjoy some giggles together! Check out this amazing book that has over 100 unique ideas to get you and your child crafting up a storm!
Make sure you also supply your child with loads of craft supplies for hours of crafting fun!
Warning: your child may not want to open the rest of his presents — he may want to start crafting NOW!
- Embroidered Blankets. Eight years ago a lady in my church gave me a HUGE gift bag of blankets.She had made two for my little one on the way and then one for each family member — including me and my husband!
To this day, my kids still remember those blankets. They loved how each one had our very own name on it.
Seriously — it was one of the most thoughtful gifts my kids had ever received.
- Pretend Dress-up Items. Pretend dress-up items encourage hours of imaginative play. Hats, sunglasses, princess dresses, scarves and more all thrown into a box or trunk is like an imagination playground of all time!We made princess crowns one day, and my kids ONLY played with those for hours.
Another day, we snagged a princes dress for $3 at a thrift store and my girls played princesses for several hours as well.
This holiday season, give the gift of imagination!
- Classic Board Games. I have so many fun memories of growing up playing classic board games with my Grandmother and brothers.We played Chess,Checkers The Game of Life and Rook.
We enjoyed so many laughs and I still love playing these games with my kids today!
It’s something they now they share with me and I shared it with my family.
- Kid-friendly Coupons. My kids love getting these at the holidays!Here are some super-cute, printable ones from Happy You, Happy Family.
I give them stay up cards, get out of dinner clean-up cards, no chores day cards, free snack or drink cards etc.
You know what your kiddos love!
Use that as a super-thoughtful gift!
We write and cut out our own, but if you want some super-cute templates, check these out!
- Bikes for the entire family! Of course you should get your kiddos some bikes.They need them!
A bike equals more freedom, more adventures and more outdoor time. B
If you already have a bike — great! If not, consider ensure each family member has a bike this year so you can tackle some outdoor adventures this year — together!
Lots of family biking trails are popping up all over the country.
Check out your local area for the most-family-friendly trail!
Make the holidays the most thoughtful ever by filling it with gifts that will make memories and childhood dreams come true!
*Affiliate links have been added for convenient gift-planning.*