These Classic Pumpkin Muffins are Made from Scratch!
Our family loves homemade, pumpkin treats during the fall season!
These freezer-friendly pumpkin muffins are definitely on our “need to bake” list!
Ingredients Needed for Homemade Pumpkin Muffins
You can use canned pumpkin, but fresh is best!
Best used at room temperature.
You can use canola oil if needed!
For that toasty, fall flavor!
Avoid imitation if possible.
All Purpose Flour.
Make sure you measure correctly!
This is probably in your pantry now!
This adds flavor and helps the bread to rise.
Pumpkin pie spice.
For an extra pumpkin kick!
You’ll add this to the option streusel topping.
Soften before adding to the streusel mixture.
Use your favorite nut!
How to Make Homemade Pumpkin Muffins
- Preheat oven to 350° F. This is the perfect temperature!
- Line or grease a 12 cup muffin pan. I prefer liners.
- Mix it up. In a mixing bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, salt, and pumpkin pie spice.
- Start whisking. In another mixing bowl, whisk together the pumpkin, eggs, oil, brown sugar, and vanilla until smooth.
- Start sprinkling. Sprinkle the flour mixture over the wet mixture and fold until just combined.
- Add batter to muffin pan. Fill muffins about ⅔ full.
How to Make Streusel Topping for Pumpkin Muffins
- Combine dry ingredients. Combine the flour, sugar, and cinnamon in a bowl.
- Cut in the butter. Use a fork or pastry fork to mix until crumbly.
- Add the streusel. Spoon the streusel evenly over each portion of the muffin batter.
- Bake! Bake muffins for 15-20 minutes or until a knife or cake tester comes out clean when inserted into the middle of a muffin.
- Serve. Cool and enjoy!
Can You Freeze Homemade Pumpkin Muffins?
Yes, you can freeze these muffins.
Once muffins have been baked and cooled, flash freeze them for 30 minutes on a lined cookie sheet.
Then, individually wrap each muffin with parchment paper and place in a freezer-proof container.
Store up to two months in freezer.
When ready to eat, thaw out and enjoy!
Tips for Making the Best Pumpkin Muffins
Do not overmix the batter!
Gently mix or fold the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients.
The batter will start to expand while sitting in the bowl.
I recommend baking all of the muffins at the same time to avoid this, as pockets of air will form and create very dense muffins if the batter is left sitting.
Use room temperature eggs for best results.
Don’t fill the muffin pans too full!
For best results, fill the wells ⅔ to ¾ of the way to the top so that the batter has room to expand while baking.
More Pumpkin Recipes
- For the muffins:
- 1 can pumpkin purée
- 2 eggs
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- ½ cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1.5 cups all purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- For the streusel topping:
- ¼ cup all-purpose flour
- ¼ cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ¼ cup butter, softened
- Optional: ½ cup chopped nuts
- Preheat oven to 350° F.
- Line or grease a 12 cup muffin pan and set aside.
- In a mixing bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, salt, and pumpkin pie spice. Set aside.
- In another mixing bowl, whisk together the pumpkin, eggs, oil, brown sugar, and vanilla until smooth.
- Sprinkle the flour mixture over the wet mixture and fold until just combined.
- Spoon the batter into the muffin pan, about ⅔ full.
- Make the streusel topping: combine the flour, sugar, and cinnamon in a bowl.
- Cut in the butter and use a fork or pastry fork to mix until crumbly.
- Spoon the streusel evenly over each portion of the muffin batter.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes or until a knife or cake tester comes out clean when inserted into the middle of a muffin.
- Cool, serve, and enjoy!
Be sure to use pumpkin purée, not pumpkin pie filling!
If you don’t have pumpkin pie spice, you can substitute ½ teaspoon cinnamon + ¼ teaspoon nutmeg + ¼ teaspoon ginger. Apple pie spice is also a good 1:1 substitute.
I recommend chopped walnuts or pecans if you want to add nuts to your muffins. You can add them directly into the batter or mix them into the streusel topping. For even more flavor, toast your nuts in a skillet over medium-low heat for 5-6 minutes first.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 12 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 226Total Fat: 10gSaturated Fat: 3gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 6gCholesterol: 41mgSodium: 231mgCarbohydrates: 30gFiber: 2gSugar: 13gProtein: 5g
Nutrition values are estimates only, and are provided only as a courtesy.