Everyone’s marriage needs an adventure, unexpected surprise and some added heat once in a while, don’t you agree? Hey, this marriage thing is for life, so make the most of it! I know the kids are important, but keep your marriage priority. Your kids will benefit greatly from it! There’s an unspoken security in knowing your parents are madly in love instead of just “putting up” with each other. So, enjoy your life together and get ready to spice things up a bit!
If you are blessed with an awesome spouse, or even one that’s not so awesome, I want to share with you some fun and simple ideas that will spice up your marriage!
And we featured our fave 10 tips in the video below!
15 Ways to Spice Up Your Marriage
- Send flirty text messages. Here’s a huge list of ideas to get you started.
- Buy something racy. Forget your comfy, cotton p.j.s and buy something that will grab your husband’s attention — fast! If you’re tight on money, try working with what you already have and adding accessories. Also, I have found some great deals on clearance racks at the large department stores. Many times those fun, flirty outfits are hidden on a grandma-looking gown rack — DIG! You won’t be sorry you did when you snag something cute for $10!
- Say “yes.” If your husband ever comes up with an idea he thinks may be fun, don’t hesitate. Say, “Yes!” Sometimes we have other plans, or maybe even a headache, but by saying yes you will freshen up your marriage and let your husband know he’s important to you.
- Shower your hubby with compliments. You know what he likes to hear — say it!
- Don’t forget the small stuff. What’s your husband’s favorite treat? Surprise him with it often! Does he like to sleep in on Saturdays? Keep the kids quiet and let him rest. Whatever pleases your husband, make it your priority! The little things add up!
- Prepare for him. If your husband arrives home at basically the same time every day, prepare for him! Freshen up your hair and make-up. Give the house a good “once-over.” Have a snack and his favorite drink ready and greet him with a smile. Don’t throw the kids on him or a “honey-do” list. Give him something to look forward to!
- Touch often. Small touches throughout the day can add up. My husband always teases me about how I take items out of this hand — like money or car keys. I often purposely touch him gently and let my hand linger for a few extra moments. He notices. I notice. We both enjoy the added spice!
- Give him chill bumps. After 14 years, I still love doing this. I sneak up and start whispering in my husband’s ear or give him some kisses. Butterflies and chill bumps shouldn’t stop when you get married — they should increase! Whatever sends good shivers up your hubby’s spine, be mindful to do it!
- Look pretty for him. Some days are exhausting, I know. But, take a few minutes and make yourself look nice for him everyday. You don’t have to spend hours on your appearance! Sometimes I just put my hair up in a chic clip, spend five minutes on my make-up and lather on a few drops of Bath and Body works lotion — it’s my fave. It’s not a huge amount of work, and my husband appreciates it. He always grins at me and asks, “Now, who are you getting all prettied up for?” Ah, the flirting begins! Oh, and don’t forget to shave your legs — even in the winter! A prickly cactus is not inviting to the touch. :)
- Date, date, date. Did I mention date your husband? Several months ago I asked my Facebook fans how often they dated heir husbands. The answers were saddening. I know baby-sitters are expensive, but if you’re able to invest in one — do it! If you can’t afford an out-of-home date, plan one at home! Here are some stay-at-home-date ideas if you’re in that pinch. Also, consider budgeting money just for your dates. Sacrifice in other areas so your marriage can thrive. Don’t fall into the stereotypical marriage where there’s no more flirting, fun or passion. What you love most, you’l spend your time and money on. So, spend BOTH on your marriage!
- Say no to “the girls.” It’s sad, but I personally know couples where the husband is always going out with “the boys” and the wife is always heading out with “the girls.” Sure, it’s fun to have girl days with our friends, but only say yes when you and your spouse have already had plenty of time to connect!
- Learn to laugh. Your husband doesn’t want a grumpy, stressed out wife. Learn to laugh and have fun. Tickle wars, pillow fights and simple competitive games are great ways to get you giggling. Of course, my husband gets his laughs out of playing pranks on me! I saw him laugh so hard, I wasn’t sure he was still breathing! Just open-mouthed silence that FINALLY ended in a laugh. It was good for both of us — though he scared me out of my wits!
- Put the kids to bed at a decent hour. Keeping your kids on a bedtime routine will give you and your hubby some quiet, one-on-one time together. And, trust me, it’s much needed. My husband and I absolutely love our kids, but we also look forward to the couple of hours of quiet time we enjoy together at night. Avoid the temptations of staying on Facebook or on the phone every night for hours. Once in a while, ok, but not every single night. You want passion, right? You have to make time for it!
- Keep your room clean. It’s hard to add spice to your marriage when your room is cluttered with junk and the bed is never made. I often think about the strange woman in Proverbs chapter 7. Ever read about her? She is tempting a young man to spend the night with her, and you know what she says? She doesn’t say, “Come to my dirty, cluttered room and we will fill ourselves with loves.” No, she says she has decked her bed with fine linens and perfumed her bed. Sounds inviting, clean, luxurious and tempting, don’t you think? Instead of shoving over a pile of laundry, or stepping over 20 toys, offer a clean, inviting, intimate room for the two of you to unwind at the end of the day.
- Smile and stay perky. So simple, right? I think one of the things my husband liked most about me when we were dating is I was perky — sometimes a little too perky. I was so excited to be with him and his presence kept a grin on my face. Face forward 14 years, and some days it’s a little bit more difficult to keep that smile. Not that I don’t have a wonderful life, but I have so much more responsibility. When days are a little bit more stressful, I try remember these small motivators, to help me get more pep in my step and add smile to my face. Let’s be completely honest here. Your husband is NOT attracted to a sour-faced, grumpy woman. So turn his head with your smile and a giggle!
And we interrupt this spicy post with some CRAZY WONDERFUL NEWS!
Marriage can be absolutely wonderful! But sometimes it can take an unexpected turn. And sometimes women being to think (or realize) they have married a less, than admirable husband.
And that’s exactly why I wrote How to Love Your No Good, Very Bad Husband.
It’s a book (which also includes some professionally designed and inspiring printables) that helps wives see the power they have in cultivating an exciting marriage! Your husband can become your best friend again. You and your husband can enjoy the sparks of love, compassion and intimacy that you once shared. And your husband may even come to know the God you love and trust through your dedication to create a happier, loving marriage.
And psst! Just THIS week — and this week only — it’s 50% off! So are ALL the products in our store! All our family resources are available at super-low prices. Just use the code HAPPYHALFOFF at checkout. Hurry! Sale ends June 27th!
Learning to love your husband is a powerful decision.
Choosing to love your husband in spite of his shortcomings and bad decisions will only help transform your marriage into one that positively and massively affects your family for generations to come.
Want to be the grandparents that had the “perfect” marriage?
Want to be the wife that your husband has aways dreamed of?
Want your husband to give his heart to you again?
But you have to take the first step.
And this lesson-based book gives you daily, actionable tasks to help you love your husband with a powerful, genuine, selfless love.
And that, dear wife, is the exact type of love your marriage needs.
No more excuses.
No more cutting and damaging remarks that tear your husband down and build you up.
Start loving your husband more today than you ever have before.
Annnnd we’re back chatting about spicing up your marriage!
How do you spice up your marriage and keep the passion alive? Share your thoughts below!
*Affiliate links have been added for you to check out some fun, mom finds!*