We live in an unhappy world full of tears, anger and deceit. That’s exactly why we need to chat about how to be a happy mom in an unhappy world! You can’t help but ask yourself, do happy moms actually exist?
Honesty disclosure: It takes work to be a happy mom, and sometimes I mess up. Sometimes I don’t try as hard as other days and I end up being a complete grump — I mean horns and all! But, hey! I have something to tell you!
God says His mercies are new every morning!
When I mess up, that good news gives me hope. And on my moms journey, I need all the hope I can get!
That promise gives me hope to be the sweet, kind and loving mom that I desire to be every single day of my life. Yeah, I may have messed up yesterday or even today, but tomorrow — I get a fresh start. I have a brand new chance to give my kids and hubby a happy mom. I can apologize to my kids and hubby now and ask God for help to be the happy mom I desire to be tomorrow — and for every day after that!
“Oh, well every mom gets moody sometimes. It’s not that big of a deal for my family.” a mom may think.
Let’s just take a minute and ponder this thought.
Have you noticed what happens to the entire mood of your home when you are less than amiable?? Yep. A dark, tempestuous cloud hovers over the family and kids that were once giggling and happily singing are now fussing and bickering with each other. Nothing else happened in the home to create such a negative, domino effect of emotions. Nope. The only aspect of the home’s atmosphere that changed was the attitude of the mom. She may have woke up happy, and that is when her kids were giggling. But, now — watch out! She’s a roaring Mama Bear! Sigh. Kids scamper away and avoid mom until she’s in a “better mood.”
That is just how powerful of an impact our attitude has in our home. You see, it’s not just you that is affected by your attitude. The closest people in your life are affected — and not in a positive way. Don’t you think every home needs a happy mom guiding it gently through this journey of life? Give your family that gift!
How is your marriage affected by your happiness meter? What happens if your husband comes home and you’re in a bad mood? If he is like most husbands, he will avoid you like the plague and spend time with his phone, computer or t.v. If you’re not a happy mom, you’re definitely not going to be a happy wife!
God has already warned us how our grumpy, catty attitudes will affect others. Proverbs 25:24 puts it pretty clearly.
“It is better to dwell in the corner of the housetop, than with a brawling woman and in a wide house.
Ouch! When we are with our girlfriends, it doesn’t seem so bad when we compare our catty, bad mood stories. We blame our moods on the kids, our lot in life and even our monthly cycles. But really — where does the blame belong?
Consider Paul and Silas when they were in prison. We are not talking about our modern-day jails where inmates enjoy air-conditioning, work-out rooms, hot-meals, t.v.s, spending money etc. No, we are talking rats, tiny bits of food and water, hands and feet in stocks, darkness, disease etc. It is hard for us to fathom what those men went through — all for serving Christ.
Yet, when they faced this trial, what was their response? Did the prisoners hear them complaining or cursing the men that threw them in jail? No, the fellow prisoners heard them praising and singing to God!
Looking to those men as our examples, can we not at least manage a smile and a kind voice when we have a “bad” day?
Life can get messy, believe me. We live in a third-world country where the power goes out constantly, huge spiders are a part of life, things are always breaking, ants eat our clothes and there are no family members to baby-sit for a date or even for an emergency. Those things can really get to me if I let them. But, guess what happens when they do? Does the power turn back on? Do the ants stop eating our clothes? No, things are still the same — only my attitude is worse.
When I take control of my attitude it becomes contagious. It use to be that moans would fill our home when the power would go off at night. Now I hear, “Let’s play hide and seek in the dark!”
So, how exactly do you become a happy mom?
So glad you asked! Here’s a grump-proof plan you can try to get your giggles and smiles back that your family enjoys so much!
How to Be a Happy Mom
- Pray. Every morning begin your day with prayer. Ask God to help you control your tongue. Ask God to remind you to be kind to your family. If you go in God’s strength you can conquer anything — even less-than-wonderful mom days! (Philippians 4:13)
- Get up early. Whoa! I know for some of you this is not a pleasant thought, however it is imperative for a mom of young kids to wake-up early. Why? Because waking up before your kids and hubby gives you the chance to pray, read your Bible, get work done and work on any projects that require peace and quiet. When you get a head-start you feel more motivated and are more equipped to fight the day’s battles — whether it be laundry or temper tantrums!
- Go to your room. If you feel the anger, bad mood changes or complaints coming on, send yourself to your room. Take ten minutes to pray, shower, rest or whatever rejuvenates you. Make sure you come back out with a smile on your face!
- Count your blessings. It’s hard to complain and stay downtrodden when you are thinking about all the good things in your life. Do you have a faithful hubby, healthy kids, a place to call home, a pantry full of food, a car to drive, a good church to attend or close friends that are like family? If you do, you are doing better than many others and your life is truly blessed. Think on those things!
- Change your diet. Sometimes what we eat affects our mood. Simple starches and refined sugars can cause us to be on edge, feel shaky and develop annoying headaches. If that is your case, reach for fruit, veggies and whole-grains to avoid these negative results that can affect your attitude.
Let’s bring the happy moms back into our homes! Remember, “If Mama Ain’t Happy, Ain’t Nobody Happy!”
Want to really take charge and transform your home into a happier one? Check out our 25 Day Happier Home challenge all wrapped up into an ebook for convenience!